You are viewing a page from the Westbrook Regional Vocational Center site that has been specially-formatted for printing and/or text-only browsing.
Skip to main content
The location of this page is: http://westbrook.mainecte.org/programs/course/public_safety_
Tech 2 Public Safety is a program geared to the student interested in exploring opportunities in the police & emergency medicine fields.
Skills students will acquire:
- How to read body language
- Do high risk building searches
- Drug investigations
- Court room testimony
- Laws of evidence
- Many other exciting aspects of the criminal justice field.
- How to fight fires and execute rescues using the latest technology and safety equipment.
Skills practiced in the this trade:
- Oral and written communication skills
- Computer skills
- Physical fitness
- History and law
- Attention to detail
- Radio communication etiquette
Activities in which the students partake:
- Regular physical training
- Drill and ceremony
- Leadership drills
- Students will actually do simulated building searches using simunition weaponry.
- In the final phase of this module, the students will have an opportunity to travel to a police firing range and experience the use of actual police firearms.
Entry-level job opportunities:
- E-911 Dispatcher
- Security Officer
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Private Investigator
- Police Officer
Post-secondary career options (requiring further education):
- Border Patrol Officer
- Police Officer
- DEA Agent
- Fire Investigator
- Forest Ranger
- Evidence Tech
- Fire Fighter
- Security Specialist
- Fish & Game Warden
- Insurance Investigator
This course meets Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, and Fri.
This course is held at Westbrook Regional Vocational Center in room 419.